Skip to main content

Appetizer # 8

# 8 Self-Respect (n) - proper pride; dignity

Oh yes, I did not do well in Business Law. To be honest, I could have cared less about court cases, what the law says about landlord rights, tenant rights, labor law rights, etc. After all, I had a home, a full time job (that at the time, I had no intention of leaving), and I was married with children. I decided to go back to college after the kids were school age, to better my life and theirs~so I thought! I was working third shift, 40 hours a week; and juggling Motherhood and being a wife. Well - all of that together did not mix well at all! 

Of course I was tired. In between classes, I would go to the student lounge and sleep ~ there was also times I would doze while driving their and back home. One day while driving home, I was so sleepy, I just could not keep my eyes open. However, when I did realize I had fallen asleep,  I was heading towards the median on a four lane highway. You talk about being scared straight. I know the adrenaline in me from that incident kept me awake all the way home. 

That's when I decided it was time to withdraw from school, take what grades I had, and just raise my children, be a wife and work. I can recall at first being so resentful of quitting; because it had always been my dream to be a college graduate, since I left college in 1980 to get married and have a family. I felt worthless, like people were looking down on me; and to me, I let down everyone in my life! It was not a good feeling at all!

But with God in my life, I was able to cheer up, do what at the time, I was meant to do ~ be a wife and raise my children! After they both became adults and parents themsevles, God allowed me (in my 40's) to complete my Associates Degree with a combination of on-line and class attendance, debt free, with no interruptions and a GPA of 3.7. I have not began to pursue my Bachelor's degree as of yet, but I know when the time comes, God will provide in ways~ again, I cannot imagine!



For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. Galatians 6:3 ESV




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appetizer # 2 -Mental Attitude ~ a state of feeling or mind about a person or situation WOW! I know that I have had some bad attitudes in situations that were not necessary to even entertain. I can recall one of my many times I developed an attitude before I allowed myself a good attitude about going to a community dance in my hometown. I just knew it was going to be boring and the people that were going to be there, I had nothing in common with (or I thought),  many of them there were not my age; and I did not have anything nice to wear, I needed to make sure my children were sleep first, and on and on and on - -  "Geez" I kept coming up with excuse, after excuse, after excuse!! My negative attitude about going to this dance could have kept me - - -- well, what many of us pass up - - - it's called "living"; IF, I would not have regrouped and decided to go anyway.  I found a babysitter, obviously found something to wear with a pair of my many fabulous sho...

Appetizer # 6 - Dreams

Appetizer #6 Dreams - Images in the mind For years, I would have the same dream of entering a beautiful mansion and I could remember being awestruck of how beautiful it was. I would marvel at the quality of its craftsmanship.  I would slowly walk down the beautiful marble staircase into the basement.  Once I got to the bottom of the stairs, there was this black door that had a little window on it. Imagine going into a dungeon and the only way anyone could see out was through this peep hole and vice versa.  When I went to open the door, an evil spirit would come near me and I would wake up immediately! As I mentioned this dream went on for years, until I realized that it was the devil. As soon as I confronted him that he will no longer allow me to live in fear of God's blessings and that he had no power over me either, the dream stopped immediately. I know that my ways are not God's ways and my thoughts are not God's thoughts, but to live a life filled with God's ...

Biblical Conviction Series Part 4 of 4

In the final Biblical Conviction Series, I had in my mind who and what to present; however, God led me to read the book of Joshua. After reading just a few chapters, it is evident that Joshua is truly a man of biblical conviction. In the book of Joshua as you read Joshua Chapter 1, you will find in Chapter 1:6 “ Be strong (confident) and of good courage”, Chapter 1:7 “Only you be strong and very courageous”, Chapter1:9 “Have not I commanded you? Be strong, vigorous, and very courageous”, and Chapter 1:18 “Only be strong, vigorous, and of good courage”.  Now I’m sure you are wondering why God reminded Joshua four times in Chapter 1 to be strong, confident and of good courage; I did also, until God revealed to me why He continued to remind Joshua of obtaining and maintaining these characteristics.  “Only be strong and very courageous, that you may do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you. Turn not from it to the right hand or to t...